DWDM/TRANSPORT TECHNICIAN – INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEERING
This position is responsible for supporting a 24x7x365, mission critical service provider network for Internet, Phone and Video for MetroCast Communications.
• Day-to-day operation and support of Fujitsu FLASHWAVE 7420 platforms.
• Day-to-day operation of JDSU optical testing equipment. Base Models include TB6000, TB8000, ETB2000T and OLP-38. Modules include OTDR, AP, PMD, CD and OSA.
• Day-to-day operation of JDSU P5000i Digital Analysis Microscope and FiberChekPRO Analysis Software.
• Install and configure complete network infrastructures as designed by the Director of Network Engineering.
• Install and provide troubleshooting assistance for servers, storage, network, and information technology infrastructures in the region as necessary.
• Participate in a 24x7 on call rotation.
• Participate in a structured change management process.
• Occasional night and weekend shifts are required in order to implement changes during designated change windows.
• Documentation of network design and configuration.
• Providing professional support to internal and external customers.
• Other duties as required.
• Travel required.
Job Responsibilities & Required Qualifications.
• Associate’s degree in an Information Technology area or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 1-2 years’ experience required as a DWDM/Transport Technician.
• Working knowledge of Corning SMF-28, SMF-28e+, LEAF and Multimode Optical Fiber required.
• Knowledge of 2.5mm SC/APC, SC/UPC and 1.25mm LC/UPC fiber optic connector assemblies required.
• Knowledge of optical fiber microscope inspection and cleaning procedures required.
• Knowledge of base level fiber characterization best practices for OTDR with pulse suppression cable assemblies a plus.
• Knowledge of DWDM based transport solutions required.
• Knowledge of 1, 10 and 100Gbps Ethernet required.
• Knowledge of SONET a plus.
• Knowledge of switching technologies (802.1Q, STP, RSTP, PVST+) a plus.
• Knowledge of TCP/IP, UDP and ICMP a plus.
• Cisco CCNA certification a plus.
• Ability to work under pressure with a diverse team.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision.
• Valid driver’s license, with proven good record.
• Attendance and punctuality are both essential functions of this position as is the ability to travel extensively throughout the Maryland and Virginia systems, and occasionally to other Harron offices in Rochester, NH and Berwick, PA.
An Equal Opportunity Employer